Monday, August 24, 2009

Japanese Pasta

When I was a kid growing up, my favorite thing to eat [besides Top Ramen and Kraft Mac & Cheese] was a raw egg and shoyu over rice. I loved how the gooey, slimey raw egg just coated the rice making everything slide down the back of my throat so easily. After salmonella became a concern, I decided to give up my favorite meal.

My fear of killing myself with salmonella poisoning didn't take my craving for raw eggs away. It wasn't until my mom grated a Yamaimo [pictured above] and put it over rice with shoyu that I found a decent replacement. It had that same consistency that I loved so much. Thus began my love affair with Yamaimo. Ok, so it wasn't exactly like that - there may have been a few "just trust me, just try it," from my mom but it turns out she was right.

Since one can not live on Rice and Yamaimo alone I started my experiments:

Me: "Mom. is it weird to have Tororo [grated Yamaimo] over SOBA??"

Mom:
"No, we do that all the time."

Me: "Mom. is it weird to put ahi poke over the tororo over the soba??"

Mom: "No, you had it before in Japan but it was with negi toro over rice instead."

Me: "oh. so i'm not really all that creative then, huh??"

darn. i really believed that I was onto something...

My poor budget doesn't allow me to spend the equivalent of $80 per pound of Otoro tuna so I settled for some really beautiful Blue Fin tuna at $40 per pound [i bought a tenth of a pound].

The Ahi Poke...I had the pleasure of meeting Alan Wong at an event a couple of years ago and had his Ahi Poke. I decided that evening that I loved Alan Wong. I camped out in front of his table, refusing to get out of the way. He tried to tell me how to make it [trow a liddle of dis and a liddle of dat] but the deer caught in headlights look kinda gave away the fact that i didn't know what a "little" really meant. He ended up asking the Banquet Captain for a to go box, boxed up the rest of the poke and gifted it to me. Let me tell you...there were a LOT of people who were really, really pissed off at me. Here's what i remembered from the "liddle of dis and dat" conversation which wasn't much since I already had a couple of drinks by that time. The rest I just had to make up.

Ahi Poke:
1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
1 ½ Tsp Green onion
1 tsp Tobiko [flying fish roe]
1 tsp sesame seeds
1 tsp Mayo [optional, sometimes I just like it spicy tuna style]
½ Tsp Brown Rice Sugar [or honey]
Pinch Sea Salt
Dash of Chili Oil or Sriracha [or to spiciness preference]
Purple Basil or micro Shiso
¼ lb Tuna [sashimi quality]

3 Tbsp Yamaimo [nagaimo], grated

1 to 2 round inches Soba

Instructions:
Cook: Soba in rolling boiling water for just a few minutes until firm but tender

Prepare: Combine all of poke ingredients and marinate the Tuna overnight, if possible.

Grate: Grate the yamaimo and set aside

Plate: Swirl the soba in a circle/mound. Spoon the yamaimo over the soba. Sprinkle some Tobiko over the yamaimo. Spoon some of the poke over the yamaimo. I drizzled some soy sauce over the completed dish to give the yamaimo some additional flavor.

3 comments:

  1. Yum, yum, yum!! You and I would definitely get along! I LOVE tororo...and everything else! I love raw egg with natto over hot rice. Mmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. YESSSS! if you ever come out to the westside area, we HAVE to go to Wakasan's...you would LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails

wibiya widget