Monday, January 24, 2011

Deliciously Organic: Chocolate Chip Cookies

Blogger Special: $27.99 if you purchase by February 10th at www.ifpinc.com

I first met Carrie Vitt nearly a year ago through a mutual friend, Helen of Tartelette, who photographed Carrie's book.  Helen told me that I would love Carrie. She wasn't kidding - Carrie is one of the most genuine, thoughtful people I know...and she has this wicked ability of really seeing you and hearing what you're saying, even when you're not saying it.  With this woman, there's no place to hide and I love her for it.

I have to admit, I never really jumped on the "organic" bandwagon.  I only bought organic when it was cheaper or more convenient and never really went out of my way to buy it. Carrie managed to breakdown organic foods to me in a way that made it manageable and not overwhelming.  Carrie's words won me over [paraphrased]: "Start small. Just make one change in your food habits at a time and work your way up." I loved that she wasn't an Organics Snob about it and made the possibility of incorporating more Organic foods into my life realistic and sensible. 

I was so thrilled to receive her new book, "Deliciously Organic". Carrie savors the taste of good food and is unwilling to sacrifice taste for healthier options.  Instead, she skillfully manages to strike a perfect balance between good taste AND healthier options.  I appreciate that she incorporates whole wheat, grains, and only the best ingredients. Delving into the book, I saw the careful consideration to quality and nutritional value of each of the ingredients listed in her recipes.

The first treat I ever tried from Carrie was her Chocolate Chip Cookie that she brought to the Share our Strength Food Blogger Bake Sale.  The cookies had an amazing depth in richness of flavor that I don't normally find in other chocolate chip cookies.  Even before opening the cookbook, I knew that the Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe was the one I wanted to make first. 

Chocolate Chip Cookies
from Deliciously Organic

Ingredients:
1 cup [110 gr] rolled oats, ground fine in a food processor or blender
2 cups [260 gr] whole wheat pastry flour, preferably freshly ground
1 1/2 cups [225 gr] whole wheat flour, preferably freshly ground
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup [230 gr] butter, softened
1 cup [185 gr] whole cane sugar or Sucanat
1 cup [120 gr] muscovado sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups [190 gr] semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat over to 350 F [180 C] and adjust rack to middle position.  Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Stir together oats, whole wheat pastry flour, whole wheat flour, salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl. Beat butter in a large bowl with electric or standing mixer on medium speed until creamy, about 1 minute.  Add cane and muscovado sugars and beat until combined. Add vanilla and then eggs, one at a time. Scrape sides of bowl. With mixer on low, gradually add the dry ingredients until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips.

Scoop cookie dough onto line baking sheets using a 2 inch [5.1 cm] cookie scoop.  Bake for 12 - 14 minutes, until set and golden brown on top.

4 comments:

  1. Jen, it was so great to see you last weekend! This is such a lovely post on Carrie and her new book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm wondering why these are called 'organic'?
    Organic is such an overused term these days, like 'natural' which I guess these are too, being loaded with sugar and fat.
    I love this line:
    Carrie savors the taste of good food and is unwilling to sacrifice taste for healthier options.
    Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These cookies look fantastic! I love adding rolled oats to homemade chocolate chip (or chocolate chunk yummm) cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yet another sweet treat of yours that I'll need to try! These cookies look yummilicious w/ some ice cold milk. :)

    ReplyDelete

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails

wibiya widget