Sunday, October 31, 2010

SPAIN: Barcelona

La Ramblas
Barcelona, Spain
3 days in Barcelona is just not enough.  There’s far too much to eat [and drink] to do this city justice.  From the proliferation of the alien-like formation of Gaudi’s buildings dotting the west, beaches and the Mediterranean Sea spreading across the east, and the rich and vast wealth of food everywhere in between, it’s a city that just doesn’t have time to allow for boredom. 

Regardless of the lack of time, it was all I had so I needed to make the most of it.  First stop was the trek to the Gaudi buildings:
Casa Mila
Sagrada Familia
Casa Batllo
Parc Guell

These structures were so incredibly BIZARRE that I stopped to try and figure out if he was on drugs when he put these building plans to paper.  It’s definitely not my style but I do appreciate his daring and unapologetic style that he introduced into the otherwise homogenous landscape.

Foodie Heaven
As I’d mentioned in a previous post, I had the pleasure of nibbling on some of the tastiest treats in Barcelona!

Cal Pep – As we settled into our stool at the bar in the overcrowded restaurant, our server gave us 100% of his attention. He spotted us for the newbies we were and asked us to trust him.  We were glad we did! He ordered us a feast and the price was very reasonable! My favorite was the shishito [peppers]. 
Inopia – I couldn’t believe I actually waited in line. I was already starving by the time I got here and I was really ready to gnaw off my arm.  It was worth the wait.
Cinc Sentis - This was the splurge meal.  Eight courses of cheeses, Foie Gras, Fish, Pig and on and on...Each taste was better than the one before. All of the ingredients were sourced locally, using the freshest and best ingredients available.
Bar Pinotxo, La Boqueria – I read about the famed Juanito Bayen's legendary charm, but I was ill prepared for just how charmed I would be.  Still early in the morning, I hadn't had a chance to get my appetite up. I had intended to just have one dish.  Mr Bayen talked us into several.  By far, the garbanzo con Butifarra Negra is one dish that is not to be missed. Rich and tasty, these are the best beans I've ever had!
El Xampanyet – no joke, this place is pretty bare bones. It’s a great happy hour location since for a bottle of champagne, it was around $5. The tapas were small but very inexpensive ranging from $3 - $5 or so for each plate.  After consuming 2 bottles of champagne, we proceeded to get lost.  As in, walking in the wrong direction.  The best part of this place was the people watching - I loved the happy hours that I spent here seeing tourists and locals alike enthusiastically catching up over a quick glass of champagne. 

I could spend a week in Barcelona and still not get enough of it. The next time I return I plan to spend more time traveling throughout the country, adding a few extra days to Barcelona!

Casa Mila [La Pedrera]
92, Passeig de Gracia
Eixample district

Sagrada Familia
401, Carrer Mallorca

Casa Batllo
43 Passeig de Gràcia

Parc Guell
Carrer d'Olot

Inopia
104 Tamarit 08015

Cinc Sentis
58 Aribau

Bar Pinotxo
La Boqueria
91, La Ramblas

El Xampanyet
Barri Gothic
Carrer Montcada 22

3 comments:

  1. Jen! Wait- were you just there for 3 days? or are these pictures from your last trip? AMAZING!!!! We are going to Barcelona for sure now in February and I cannot wait to go to some of these places. Thank you for all of the great info and tips! XO, H

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just came back from Barcelona (a few months ago)! HEAVEN! Looking at your pictures makes me want to go back. right. now.

    LOVE YOUR BLOG!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for visiting!!

    Loved Barcelona and that's on my short list of places to go to again next year!

    ReplyDelete

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails

wibiya widget