Sunday, October 18, 2009

Santa Monica


I don't really like to leave my house.  I live a very comfortable life as a hermit and am quite happy to hunker down for an entire weekend in my jammies.  I do, however, like going to farmer's markets.  Every Saturday morning, I go to the Santa Monica Farmer's Market on Arizona to pick up my produce for the week.


I decided to change up my Saturday morning routine by stopping off at the beach and Will Rogers State Historic Park before my trip to the Market.  My grandpa used to love taking me to the beach and park.  It was one of my most fondest memories that I have of the time I spent with my grandpa.

As I walked across the bridge over the homeless person on my way to the beach, I mentally noted to myself that there was a reason why the area smelled so rank and foul. Someone took a dump near the bridge. I was very happy to see the light at the end of this particular tunnel.  I don't know why I was so excited to see this ugly "light" at the end of the the tunnel but I just loved the repeating curves. I was fascinated by it.



I used to love riding the waves with my grandpa holding on to me to make sure I didn't float off to sea.  I really wanted to jump into the water but was afraid of the toxic bacteria after our first rain of the season - my feet would probably fall off. As it was, I just sat there listening to the waves crashing on the sand.  I forgot how soothing that sound really was.  It was slowly lulling me to sleep so I decided it was time for me to get to my next destination.



I've been wanting to go to Will Rogers State Historic Park all summer but just couldn't get the energy together to make it there.  It's now $12 to park your car.  But it supports WRSHP so I say go for it.  I'd hate to see this place close down.  There are a few different trails that you can take.  I've done all of them at one point or another - some harder than others.  I'm amazed that my grandpa, even in his 80's would come hiking here for exercise.  Wow.



My out of shape @$$ somehow made it up to Inspiration Point.  Looking at the photo below, I'm still trying to figure out WHY this is supposed to be inspirational. Yes, yes...i KNOW it's underfunded and all that but really - this is how it always looked.  The views on a clear day are still "meh".  I sat down on the bench soaking in the peace, waiting for inspiration to strike, munching on my bagel when a group of runners made it up to the point.  I was annoyed, not by the noise or disruption of my peace, but because those people were RUNNING UP THE HILL. Show offs.




Both of these FREE activities are highly recommended if you happen to be in the Los Angeles area.  

Will Rogers State Historic Park
1501 Will Rogers Park Road
Pacific Palisades, CA 90272
310-454-8212




No comments:

Post a Comment

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails

wibiya widget