Thursday, October 1, 2009

Oatmeal Cookies...



I was originally going to do another segment of the Stalker Series but I had an attack of conscience on the person I wanted to stalk.  I need to battle out the argument "for" and the argument "against" in my brain. Until the issue is resolved [both moral and legal], you'll just have to be patient with me as I try to quench my cravings for a really good oatmeal cookie like the one I saw on this blog.

I'm heading out to Oklahoma City next week for work and am meeting up with one of my dearest friends in the world!  I made a batch of financiers and thought how great they'd be to bring along for my friend.  They would have been the perfect gift for her since I just know she'd love it. I know this because I love them so.  I love them so much that I ate them. Now I'm empty handed again and my mother would shoot me if I went to visit a without a gift!  I needed a Plan B.

I found this recipe clipping in my piles of recipes [ironic that someone who doesn't really cook or bake has enough recipes to put the local public library to shame].  I believe it came from the Los Angeles Times.  But I don't stake my life on that fact.  For the sake of this post, I'm saying it's the LA Times and I'm saying it with conviction.  Because really, that's all I've got.

Extra Crisp and Chewy Oatmeal Cookies
adapted from the LA Times recipe from a long, long time ago

1/3 cup butter
1-1/2 cups oatmeal
1/4 cup pistachios, chopped
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
1/4 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup cranberries

Melt Butter and set aside to cool. 

Using a food processor, ground oatmeal & pistachio until flour like consistency.  Add granulated and brown sugars, salt and process until smooth.  In separate bowl, whisk together melted butter, vanilla and eggs. Stir into oatmeal mixture, adding the cranberries and chocolate chips.  Chill dough for 20 minutes.

Roll dough into 1-inch balls and set on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.  Flatten slightly with moist fingers.

Bake at 350 degrees until edges are nicely browned and tops of cookies are medium golden, 9 to 11 minutes.  Cool well on baking sheets, about 10 minutes, before atempting to remove with metal spatula or icing knife.  Cookies can also be brought to room temperature and flattened more to make them larger, more crisp and lacy-like.  Cover loosely and keep refrigerated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails

wibiya widget